"Big Six Blues Solo Buddy" or "Drei Blaue Tonleiteren"

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
IaNerd

"Big Six Blues Solo Buddy" or "Drei Blaue Tonleiteren"

Post by IaNerd » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:28 pm

NAME: "Big Six Blues Solo Buddy" or "Drei Blaue Tonleiteren"

BASIC CONCEPT: In other topics I made use of Seydel's Big Six model to create various chord harmonicas such as the "Chord Buddy" and the "Easy Backup". This new tuning for Big Six takes the complementary approach of providing three minor hexatonic blues scales--for a I-IV-V progression--merged into one run up the harmonica. It is, in a sense, the blues version of solo/tonleiter tuning.

This tuning features:

1. The minor hexatonic blues scale of the I chord (playable without tricky bends or overblows).
2. The minor hexatonic blues scale of the IV chord (playable without tricky bends or overblows).
3. The minor hexatonic blues scale of the V chord (playable without tricky bends or overblows).

WHEN/HOW: November of 2017. I have one and I like it.

CORRECTION, on May 30, 2023: In the diagram below, the green line should hit the six blow rather than the five draw.

LAYOUT/DETAILS:

Attachments
2017-11-07 (2).png
2017-11-07 (2).png (63.46 KiB) Viewed 6754 times
Last edited by IaNerd on Tue May 30, 2023 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

IaNerd

Re: "Big Six Blues Solo Buddy" or "Drei Blaue Tonleiteren"

Post by IaNerd » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:44 pm

As a slight variation, the four blow could be and F# rather than an F.

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:31 pm

Just a few minutes ago I documented, in a Topic called "Diagrams of well-known tunings", a tuning created years ago by Heiner Krüger. I then noticed that my "Solo Buddy" (diagrammed above) has a lot in common with Krüger's "Optimized Blues Tuning". The differences are few, but details matter. I would not at this time say that one is categorically "better" than the other; that is worth some study and debate. I compliment and thank Mr. Krüger for his work.

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:13 pm

The final four chambers (i.e. 3-6) of the "Solo Buddy" tuning above has become part of larger, more chord-enabled tunings that I call "mullet" tunings. On this Forum, see "Blues Mullet" tuning for 10-hole harp and also "Blues Mullet" tuning for 12-hole harp.