"Goldschmidt/Sowards Gen. 4" tuning for BP Big Six Quad harp

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
IaNerd

"Goldschmidt/Sowards Gen. 4" tuning for BP Big Six Quad harp

Post by IaNerd » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:47 pm

NAME: “Goldschmidt/Sowards Gen. 4 PowerChrom tuning for QuadSix”

BASIC CONCEPT:
In the original “Goldschmidt/Sowards” tuning, I distributed the twelve semitones of an octave among three banks/layers of reeds, and among four channels/holes of the harp. There were no missing semitones and no repeated semitones.

In this version, I use over two full octaves of PowerChrom tuning in the Slide Out layers. The PowerChrom octave eliminates the G#/Ab tone, because it is RELATIVELY less used in Western music than the accidentals F#/Gb and C#/Db.

In the earlier Generations of this tuning, the chord layer’s notes kept ascending in pitch all the way up the harp. By splitting them up into two sets of six, the right half of the comb's chords can now be in roughly the same register as the left half. This is the chief advantage of moving Goldschmidt/Sowards tunings to the QuadSix format.

WHEN/HOW: December of 2017. I have not yet made one.

LAYOUT/DETAILS:
Observe how all the draw notes can be bent by one semitone. This makes playing NEARLY chromatically (and in the minor hexatonic blues scale in G) possible with or without the use of the slider notes.

Attachments
2017-12-01 (2).png
2017-12-01 (2).png (38.04 KiB) Viewed 8896 times