12 hole 2 key diatonic

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
SweetBlood

12 hole 2 key diatonic

Post by SweetBlood » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:10 pm

I have an idea that I would like to run by everyone for a custom tuning that you can't put into the custom tuning template when ordering a harp from, for instance, Seydel. The reason being that it would not go from low to high all the way across the harp. What my idea is, is to have a 12 hole harmonica with the first 6 holes tuned the same as the first 6 holes on a standard tuned diatonic harmonica (like Seydel's Big 6). The other 6 holes would be in reverse order in a key a minor third above the first side so that you could 'flip' the harp over and have a different key (Eg., G one one side, flip it over and you have Bb). Where this would be useful to me is say if I go to a jam or something and don't feel like carrying a full set of harps I could play in several easy positions on holes 1-6 and cover several keys with 1 harp. I can fit two harps in the watch pocket on my jeans so without carrying around a case full of harps you could have essentially 4 harmonicas in your pocket and be able to cover a wide range of territory musically.

Maybe there would be a better interval than a minor 3rd, but just thinking about it a little bit it seemed like that would give a lot of options without too much overlap.

Any thoughts on the viability/usefulness of this arrangement or other variations that come to mind?

IaNerd

Re: 12 hole 2 key diatonic

Post by IaNerd » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:49 pm