Different versions of "Do it! / Easy 3rd" tuning

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
IaNerd

Different versions of "Do it! / Easy 3rd" tuning

Post by IaNerd » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:34 pm

Recently I was looking into “Easy 3rd / Do It!” tuning.

In this post: viewtopic.php?f=9&p=1481&sid=7a9acd6a1b ... fdb8#p1480 I noted that: “Sources on the web show some disagreement as to the 7 draw note. For C major tuning, some show it as a B, and others show a D.”

I asked Seydel about this, and Bertam Becher replied:

“The original Do it tuning was "invented" by Dale King. "Do it" means: Dale's Open Irish Tuning. His intention was to play (dorian) Irish tunes. Later on I named it "Easy 3rd", because this name indicates the fact that it is possible to play easily in 3rd position without double-bends in 2 and 3 draw.
Others picked up the idea and modified it so that the 7 draw became different (adaption to the Dorian scale). This is not wrong and makes sense musically, as well. I prefer the variant where only two notes are tuned differently. Perhaps it would be good to name the latter variant "Do it! tuning V.2".

I encourage forum members to discuss—in Replies to this Post—the relative merits of the different ways to “Do it!”. As you do so, please be very clear as to whether you are referring to the “Original Do it!” or the later-developed “V.2”.