Reeds Attached with Screws

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
dblues

Reeds Attached with Screws

Post by dblues » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:03 am

Wouldn't it be great if all harmonica reeds were attached with screws. How simple to put on new reeds or change tunings. Someday I will undertake this task head on, but for now I leave it to others to perform this daunting task, (until I can afford and obtain the proper tools and state of mind :lol: )

Tyler

Re: Reeds Attached with Screws

Post by Tyler » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:50 pm

I just attempted a reed replacement with a screw. The reed still swiveled too easily, so i tightened a bit more and the screw head came right off! Now i need to figure out how to get the rest of that screw out of the hole, and what to do to reattach the reed.

Ideas?

triona

Post by triona » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:10 pm

Oo, top of the jokers set - or ass card drawn, by other words.
I don't envy you.

The usual way is to drill out the screw - with a diameter not exceeding the core diameter of the screw. Then tetap the thread. I have done this many many times - with diameters of M 4, M5, M6, ... up to M16 or so. But I was lucky not to have to do it with a diameter like this up till now.

Above all: You need a good and precise drill stand (working striktly parallell / vertical - at least never free hand drilling) and a vice alike as well (preferably with semi soft jaws, for expl of polyamide). Good drills in the respective diameter. Buy a dozen or so - they break like nothing, and besides, they are mostly not available otherwise anyway. The tap tool you will have, I suppose.

And then respect the mechanics' golden rule: After tight comes break. (I hope you have the breaking torque of these screws now in your feeling.) Maybe you should look for screws of a better quality. I know it is difficult to get scews in that dimension at all. And many of them might have a quite poor quality. Maybe someone else here might know a better source than any odd local hardware dealer.

good luck
and dear greetings
triona
Aw, Thou beloved, do hearken to the Banshee's lonely croon!
sinn féin - ça ira !
Cad é sin do'n té sin nach mbaineann sin dó

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yI3H ... 9ktgzTR2qg

winslowyerxa

Post by winslowyerxa » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:51 pm

If all else fails, instead of threading the rivet hole, simply use a longer screw and use a nut to accept the thread on the other side of the reedplate.

dblues

Post by dblues » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:19 pm

I had a broken 3rd hole (low one) blow reed on my Bb Lucky 13 (1st time I ever had a blow reed go bad). Ordered a new reed. Since they are welded, I thought I would try "super glue" to attach it. Much to my surprise, it actually worked and is still working weeks later. :o

triona

Post by triona » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:11 pm

dblues wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:19 pm
... try "super glue" to attach it. Much to my surprise, it actually worked and is still working weeks later. :o
... to my big surprise too ...
You have a really Lucky one. :)
But I'm quite sure, it fly fly away one time again.
But if it's sounding well and is still in tune, you can repeat this operation every now and then ...

I never have succeeded with super glue with anything. Anything done with this lasts just a little bit longer than glued with spit. :roll: Maybe they sell better glue in your country than here.

dear greetings
triona
Aw, Thou beloved, do hearken to the Banshee's lonely croon!
sinn féin - ça ira !
Cad é sin do'n té sin nach mbaineann sin dó

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yI3H ... 9ktgzTR2qg