All 24 major and minor triad chords in 12-hole slide harp

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
IaNerd

All 24 major and minor triad chords in 12-hole slide harp

Post by IaNerd » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:27 pm

NAME: Major/Minor Chord King.

BASIC IDEA: Some folks want or need major and minor chords for harmonic play. In this 12-hole slide harmonica, ALL 12 major triads and ALL 12 minor triads are available in a pocket-sized instrument.

HOW/WHEN: This is a natural extension of what I was posting to this forum on August 11 and August 31. Worked out by me on September 2, 2017.

LAYOUT AND DETAILS:

VARIATION #1: Better indexing.
If this tuning were applied to a 14-hole harp, then channels 5 and 10 could be blank/plugged/skipped. This would make navigating the harp easier. The same could be done on a 16-hole harp, by plugging/skipping either channels 1, 6, 11 and 16, or by plugging/skipping channels 5, 6, 11 and 12.

VARIATION #2: Octave and tremolo versions.
If this tuning were applied to a 16-hole harp, then three new chambers could be added—one beside each of the three Root channels. That extra channel would provide a fourth tone for each major and each minor chord. The fourth note could be an octave note of the root, which would make every chord sound fuller. Alternately, the fourth note could be very nearly equal to the root tone, to give all chords a tremolo sound.

VARIATION #3: Add some 7th notes.
If this tuning were applied to a 16-hole harp, then three new chambers could be added—either to the right (major chord side) or left (minor chord side) of the blocks of chords. That extra channel would allow, for example, all of the major chords to be played “as is” OR as major 7 chords. If the harp had 18 holes, one could play any major or minor chord “as is” OR as a 7th version of the same chord.
Attachments
2017-09-03 (2).png
2017-09-03 (2).png (62.65 KiB) Viewed 8300 times

triona

Re: All 24 major and minor triad chords in 12-hole slide harp

Post by triona » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:34 pm

Is there already existing an instrument like this?

dear greetings
triona
Aw, Thou beloved, do hearken to the Banshee's lonely croon!
sinn féin - ça ira !
Cad é sin do'n té sin nach mbaineann sin dó

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yI3H ... 9ktgzTR2qg

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:49 pm

Suzuki offers a 14-hole "chromatic" chord slide harmonica which has more chords than this (e.g. augmented chords). My approach to the tuning has some similarities and some distinct differences. I expect that users with access to both might disagree as to which one is easier or more intuitive to learn. My system would, I think, be especially nice in a Brendan Power Dual Diatonic or MiniChrom format.

If I have in fact duplicated an existing tuning, someone please let me know.

triona

Post by triona » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:08 pm

That was exactly what was coming into my mind, when I read your post.
For I have the Suzuki SSCH-56 since last week.
At least it seemed to me like the basic idea would be the same, or at least similar.

Here is the layout of the Suzuki:
Sorry for the poor print. I hope it is legable.

It is definitely different from yours. But it is already existing and can be played.
As soon as I have found out the best way, how I can play it, I will report.

dear greetings
triona
Aw, Thou beloved, do hearken to the Banshee's lonely croon!
sinn féin - ça ira !
Cad é sin do'n té sin nach mbaineann sin dó

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yI3H ... 9ktgzTR2qg

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:13 pm

Similar... yes, that is fair to say.

When you have played the Suzuki for a while, please share your assessment with us or me.

Cheers.

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:32 pm

Theoretically good La Nerd, but how would you make it? Existing chromatic reedplates are not suitable. It would require purpose-made reedplates and comb, a very expensive investment for any company.