A family of new modded-Richter tunings

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
IaNerd

Re: A family of new modded-Richter tunings

Post by IaNerd » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:07 pm

The tunings posted on March 28 (above) and July 20 (above) are very similar. Here are two important differences:

(1) The July 20 tuning is (theoretically) compatible with the "blow-row-only" model of Brendan's Overblower Booster--the one he designed for "regular-breath" tunings such as PowerDraw and PowerBender. The March 28 tuning is not compatible, at this time, with any currently available models of his OB Boosters.

(2) As shown in the diagram below, the March 28 tuning is much easier to create by re-tuning a standard Richter diatonic harp.

Attachments
2018-07-21 (2).png
2018-07-21 (2).png (21.65 KiB) Viewed 99 times

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:09 pm

In the March 5 post (above) I pointed out how a Country-tuned Seydel Big Six is a potent little chugger (with I--IV--V chords) and a capable melodic/solo instrument in 2nd position. Now imagine (because such is not yet available) an Overblow Booster on this harp. Note the welcome addition of two Eb notes, two Ab notes, a C and a G.

Attachments
2018-07-22 (3).png
2018-07-22 (3).png (37.52 KiB) Viewed 88 times

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:39 pm

On the tuning posted July 20 (above), I'm now rethinking the 5 draw. Since a dominant 7th chord typically resolves to the the I chord, it doesn't seem so important to have a dom7 variant of the I chord.

If that 5 draw is raised one semitone, then the V chord gets extended leftward by one more hole. If that 5 draw were instead raised two semitones, then the I chord gets extended rightward by one more hole. Either way, an additional draw bend is created. I think the latter option (i.e. a draw bend from G to F) is probably better.