A family of new modded-Richter tunings

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
IaNerd

Re: A family of new modded-Richter tunings

Post by IaNerd » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:24 pm

To add a bit of complexity to the tuning above, we can raise the 5 blow by three semitones.

By the way, I see that there is a continuous Gmin chord from 3 to 10 in the draw layer. Please feel free to suggest ways that, within this tuning, that strip of Gmin harmony could be useful.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=527
Attachments
2019-03-20 (3).png
2019-03-20 (3).png (48.38 KiB) Viewed 21262 times

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:19 pm

Here are two more elaborate versions of the Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:29 pm (above).

https://www.brendan-power.com/forum/dow ... iew&id=533

https://www.brendan-power.com/forum/dow ... iew&id=534
Attachments
2019-03-23 (7).png
2019-03-23 (7).png (55.79 KiB) Viewed 21242 times
2019-03-23 (9).png
2019-03-23 (9).png (53.98 KiB) Viewed 21242 times

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:04 pm

The tuning shown here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=212&start=80#p2056 (above) has a repeating pattern in holes 5-7 and 8-10. We can therefore delete holes 8-10, resulting in a loss of tonal range but no loss in function.

This 7-hole tuning is too large for a Seydel Big Six. But it would be perfect in a Kongsheng Baby Fat.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=537&sid= ... b8faa27c32
Attachments
2019-03-24.PNG
2019-03-24.PNG (32.83 KiB) Viewed 21224 times

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:45 pm

The tuning just above would certainly work. But as a re-tuning project, it involves moving the 7 draw upwards by three semitones. Maintaining Richter's reversed breath pattern for that hole makes the re-tuning easier.

Using stock Kongsheng Baby Fats, the following re-tunings are possible:
Stock F becomes new G "blues". (This is, however, in a high register.)
Stock D becomes new E "blues".
Stock C becomes new D "blues".
Stock Bb becomes new C "blues".
Stock A becomes new B "blues". (Not the most useful blues key.)
Stock G becomes new A "blues". This one is nice and low.

UPDATE, December 26, 2019: Yesterday I attempted the A-becomes-B re-tuning as above. I failed at re-tuning the 7 blow down a full two semitones, which was disappointing. The rest of the harp played very well, though. I like this alternate tuning and will likely ask Kongsheng to prepare some for me, especially in the keys of A, C, D and E. If Kongsheng ever develops low enough reeds for the Baby Fat, I would also like to get this tuning in "Low" (for this tuning) G, i.e. converted from a stock tuning of Low F (which does not yet exist).

download/file.php?mode=view&id=640
Attachments
2019-12-23 (1).png
2019-12-23 (1).png (34.39 KiB) Viewed 19350 times
Last edited by IaNerd on Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:12 pm

As I stated in the UPDATE just above, that concept might be a very good tuning, but as a re-tuning project its 7 blow note is problematic (for me, at least).

Here I recast that idea into a ten-hole format, and the problem of the re-tuning the 7 blow disappears. I have ordered a Kongsheng Mars (my first) in Low F to test this. I will report back later.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=648

download/file.php?mode=view&id=657
Attachments
2020-01-19.png
2020-01-19.png (42.03 KiB) Viewed 19158 times
2020-01-02.png
2020-01-02.png (23.73 KiB) Viewed 19314 times

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:14 pm

I now see that the tuning just above is a cousin to third position standard Richter, where an F harp would be used to play G blues, and a tonic is at the 4 draw.

Most of this tuning's departures from Richter involve getting the low chords back to what they would have been (albiet inverted) in second position C, a.k.a. crosssharp G.

EdvinW

Post by EdvinW » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:34 pm

I always check this thread when it's updated, but unfortunately I'm often in a hurry. This time I wasn't, and so, fortunately, I took a look a few posts back :)

Two things sparked my interest:

Firstly, in your latest tuning, the two F notes in hole 7 look a bit odd. I understand why you put them there, but have you considered lowering 7B to an Eb? You loose the major F chord, but you gain an inverted Cm, and holes 4-7 would look like holes 2-5 from a Natural Minor. Except for gaining two notes (the E by bending) that could be used for riffs, this would add expression to the remaining drawn F.

I'm not saying my suggestion is a strict improvement, as you DO lose the Fmaj, I'm just interested to hear your thoughts on my thoughts!

Secondly, in the second tuning in your post from Mar 23, 2019, I spotted something interesting in hole 5: blow is higher than draw in a single hole! I don't think I've ever seen that in other people's tunings before, have you used this before? In my experience, it is a useful tool in changing the harmonic characteristic, albeit a tricky one.

I mentioned it in your thread on retuning Easttop EDHarmonicas, and it seems the context (hole 3) is rather similar :)
Edvin Wedin

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:48 pm

In the comment above, Edvin asks if I "have considered lowering 7B to an Eb?". No, I had not. But now I will! Thanks.

As for the inverted breath pattern in the hole 5, I was just exploring getting a IVdom7 in the blow layer while also providing a bend-less b3rd for the blues scale.

As a general -- and often broken -- rule, I try to avoid inverted breath patterns and even holes with no draw-bending.

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:43 pm

I made a prototype of the January 2 tuning shown above and tried it out. I liked the main G blues scale (from 4 draw to 8 draw) so much that I decided to string two of them end-to-end in the tuning below.

Note that I used Edvin's Eb advice in the upper G blues scale. This gives the blow holes 1 through 8 a C major IV chord, and the blow holes 7 through 10 a C minor iv chord.

This tuning has two virtually identical G blues scales, plus a C blues scale (for when playing over the IV chord), and even a D blues scale (for when playing over the V chord). None of those scales require overblows or overbends.

In the diagram below, the first of two G blues scale is traced with a bright blue line. A virtually identical G blues scale follows it but is not traced out. The C blues scale is traced with an orange line. The D blues scale is traced with a magenta line.

Note how -- with the exception of the Bb in 3 draw -- the first five holes of this tuning are standard Richter.

I like to have a solid I chord triad in the low end and in line with a solid IV triad. In this tuning, the I chord is a dyad only. If this tuning is extended to the left in a 12- or 13-hole harp, then the I chord could be a solid triad.

Dropping the 5 and 6 blows to Eb is worth some further consideration. It would make possible an easier C blues scale in the harp's middle octave. Other pros and cons, anyone?

ERROR: The 5 draw should not be highlighted in the diagram below.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=684
Attachments
2020-02-04 (2).png
2020-02-04 (2).png (37.85 KiB) Viewed 18941 times
Last edited by IaNerd on Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:01 pm

The post above considers -- but does not show -- the 5 and 6 blow notes as Eb. The diagram below does show this. Additionally, it shows a simpler and more central C blues scale (for when playing over the IV chord) which is made possible* by one of those new Eb notes. It is traced out with an orange line. Note that the upper C blues scale is still there, but is not traced out in this diagram.

Interestingly, eight of the first ten notes -- the lower half of the harp -- are identical to standard Richter. Most this tuning's departures from standard Richter are in the upper half of the harp. Notably, every hole has a "regular breath pattern", i.e. a hole's draw note is always higher than its blow note. This feature is also seen in PowerChromatic, PowerBender, Wilde Rock, and other modern alternate tunings.

*ADDENDUM, February 6: The Eb of overblow 4 already made this scale possible, but I was thinking in terms of not relying on overblows. Ymmv.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=685
Attachments
2020-02-05 (2).png
2020-02-05 (2).png (38.11 KiB) Viewed 18908 times