England meets Sweden

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
triona

England meets Sweden

Post by triona » Thu May 07, 2020 3:12 am

English rock harmonica star Will Wilde meets Swedish rock and blues harmonica lady Elin “Luffar Lo” Öberg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhrt8QBcngg

It is a Seydel promotion video for their harmonicas with the new Will Wilde tuning. This seems to be worthwhile to be discussed here as well btw.

dear greetings
triona
Aw, Thou beloved, do hearken to the Banshee's lonely croon!
sinn féin - ça ira !
Cad é sin do'n té sin nach mbaineann sin dó

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yI3H ... 9ktgzTR2qg

Brendan

Re: England meets Sweden

Post by Brendan » Thu May 07, 2020 2:56 pm

It's an excellent video!

Will's tuning is nice, but it's not entirely new. He got in touch with me on Facebook in 2017, wanting to try my PowerDraw and Powerbender harps. I sent him a free one of each. He really liked them, but after a while wanted to change a few things in the middle octave. He loved the top end on both harps, and liked the 2nd Position draw version of hole 6, as on PowerBender. However he also wanted to keep hole 5 as in Richter and PowerDraw. So in the end he made a tuning that is like PowerDraw, but with three notes different.

POWERDRAW TUNING
CD EG GB CD EF GA AB CD EG AC

WILL WILDE TUNING
CD EG GB CD EF EG GB CD EG AC

The two holes that have changed are hole 6 (two notes) and hole 7 (one note). Hole 7 (blow G) is a variation I used myself for a while, but eventually opted for the blow A instead. Hole 6 has a draw G like PowerBender, but gets a deeper bend, making it the same as hole 2 and 9.

Will told me he acknowledges the influence of PowerBender/PowerDraw in creating his Wilde tuning when he explains it to people :) He's a powerful player and nice guy.

triona

Post by triona » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:54 pm

Brendan wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:56 pm
He's a powerful player and nice guy.

Yes, that is true. I happened to meet him at a concert not very long ago. (It was the year when his sister got her baby.) We did not talk about his tuning of which I did not not have heared of yet by that time. We talked about the upcoming baby :lol: and about the outstanding fact, that he played a solo walking around among the audience thus meaning totally without any electric amplification (no wireless devices). It was an acoustic concert anyway, but I considered it remarkable that he did the solo even without any acoustic amplification by any mic. And he was easily and clearly audible in any part of the room containing about 100 people- event in the most distant corners. The saliant point is just that anyone in the audience has to keep their mouth.

dear greetings
triona
Aw, Thou beloved, do hearken to the Banshee's lonely croon!
sinn féin - ça ira !
Cad é sin do'n té sin nach mbaineann sin dó

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yI3H ... 9ktgzTR2qg

November_SSN

Post by November_SSN » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:41 pm

Speaking about that, is Will still doing concerts, are there some planned for 2022? I've always wanted to attend one, but there was "something" that happened last year that set back every concert-related dream I had until further notice...