New Chinese Digital/MIDI Harmonica - the HM12

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
Brendan

New Chinese Digital/MIDI Harmonica - the HM12

Post by Brendan » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:13 pm

Lately I've been messing around with the HM12, an interesting new MIDI harmonica from China. Here's a comprehensive rundown:

https://youtu.be/CbD9oRdT3O0

EdvinW

Re: New Chinese Digital/MIDI Harmonica - the HM12

Post by EdvinW » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:36 pm

Thanks for bringing attention to this new product, and for your comprehensive reviwe! Someone seem to have put quite some thought into it, especially the effects triggered by the rockers look very interesting.

Having already bought a DM48 (and being between jobs at the moment...) I'll have to think about if I really need another one (right now...), but it's tempting :)

Where is this for sale?
Edvin Wedin

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:13 am

Check the links in the Description below the video for a couple of buying options.

The HM12 does have some useful new features compared to the DM48, and will appeal to players who just want instant plug and play - as opposed to linking it with outside synths.

For me personally that's not an issue: I'll still prefer playing through my iPad, because I'm familiar with the setup and the sounds are much better.

When it comes down to a direct comparison between the two with iPad hookup, I'd still prefer the DM48 with Mini PitchBender - because you can tweak the breath dynamics more finely. Also the DM48 mouthpiece is nicer, in my opinion.

The selective chords and octave features of the HM12 are pretty cool, but there are other ways to get that on the DM48 (or any harmonica) using an intelligent harmonist with a foot switch. Personally I prefer that approach, because it gives automatically correct major or minor chords depending on the key selected.

So... if using outside synths, I don't think you need to swap your DM48 for an HM12: it is arguably still better in that context.

Lizzy

Post by Lizzy » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:29 am

Its a alternative. You now have two midi harmonica to choose from :D But as Brendan says..you have better sound from DM48/Ipad combination and you also have a continous and a lot more apps to choose from. And the built-in tuning editor also adds another advantage. But all development is welcome and to have the effects built in was a good development.