Chromatic with Offset Tonics Double Lead Tone (COT-DLT)

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
IaNerd

Chromatic with Offset Tonics Double Lead Tone (COT-DLT)

Post by IaNerd » Mon May 16, 2022 2:01 pm

In this earlier discussion viewtopic.php?f=9&t=829&sid=20321f3b7f8 ... a88b#p3642 I introduced Double Lead Tone (DLT) in association with a Spiral tuning. Then here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=874#p3904 I introduced what appears to be a new format for chromatic “slide” harp – Chromatic with Offset Tonics (or COT). Later in that same discussion, here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=874#p3931 , I used COT on Spiral-then-DLT in an overall tuning that I termed COTS-DLT.

Here I begin a new discussion which removes the Spiral segment entirely—leaving only the DLT. So this new tuning will be simply COT-DLT. Compared to COTS-DLT, it lacks some of the chords in the low end. However, it has a slide-out breath pattern that is completely consistent from one octave to the next, with the “reset” being at each Ionian tonic.

Note that in both the flat-slide and the sharp-slide version, the slide-out layer has Ionian tonics as draw notes and the slide-in layer has the Ionian tonics as blow notes. Therefore, if one is playing diatonically, one may choose between “regular” and “inverted” breath patterns. The two layers also give a player two different sets of scale degrees with available draw-bends; this is not the case in more conventional slide-chromatic tunings.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=848
Attachments
2022-05-16 (2).png
2022-05-16 (2).png (33.29 KiB) Viewed 36534 times

IaNerd

Re: Chromatic with Offset Tonics Double Lead Tone (COT-DLT)

Post by IaNerd » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:01 pm

Note that in the flat-slide version (above), both layers have three possible draw-bends per octave. Compare this with PowerChromatic, which has four, and with Solo and Classical, each of which have two.