Double stack Reed plates

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
dodtsair

Re: Double stack Reed plates

Post by dodtsair » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:24 pm

@triona Yeah ball valves. Could probably make a custom Reed cover with a bunch of ball valves in it. Might even make it stronger, can survive being stowed in my back pocket and not being crushed.

And only slightly serious you could use the harmonica as a shaker.

I need to read up more valves and over bends

@EdwinW Double stack reed plates is an old idea I have had stuck in my brain for some time. It is one possible solution to one of many design challenges in the harmonica concept I had tinkered with long ago.

ROBERT TEMPLE

Post by ROBERT TEMPLE » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:32 am

Very interesting topic here. I have a Suzuki Airwave in C major and have worked on it to access obs. In so doing, I was surprised to note the draw one, D, is a reversed-direction reed. It is still on the underside of the reedplate, though is riveted way up close to the mouth, the reedpad is flush with the reedplate. The remaining draw reeds are mounted in a standard fashion and position. It has a very strong tone when drawn and bent. I am also able to get the flat 3rd, Eb, on the one-hole ob. So, I thought y'all might be interested in this little tidbit, might help your idea[s] along.

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:14 pm

Just came back to this thread after a week or so. I see it's moved along into the area of practicality, thanks to Edvin. Nice drawings and discussion :-)

Not to take anything away from your enthusiasm for a promising concept Dodtsair & Edvin, but just as a factual note: I have already done some work on this idea. I first came up with it in October 2015, and called it Coupled Opposing Reeds. The aim was to make more compact X-Reed harmonicas, though it has other applications. I got all excited too, and did some drawings and experiments.

I emailed Pat Missin and Rick Epping about the idea, along with some drawings and photos, to see if they had heard of coupled opposing reeds being used before. They thought not, but found it interesting. I also emailed a couple of other knowledgeable friends, Zombor Kovacs and Tom Tonon (inventor of the Blues Box), to get their input. (I have the emails for reference if anyone demands proof).

I experimented using both diatonic and chromatic reedplates. Unlike Edvin, I didn't find the reeds worked well with just the conjoined stacked reedplates, so I added extra porting and valves on outside and inside of the reedplate. This got the reeds playing usefully, but I was struggling to line up the slots accurately to avoid reeds snagging.

The complexity of making it all work, plus the need for lots of valves, kind of put me off the idea at the time, and I got busy with other projects. I came back to it in late 2018 and did some more drawings, but it still seemed a very complicated assembly altogether - especially with all the valves! However, as Triona notes, my recent Gasket-Valve idea would simplify that aspect a lot.

Would love to hear how your prototype is working, Edvin. Do you have an MP3 or video to share?

EdvinW

Post by EdvinW » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:15 pm

Brendan wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:14 pm
Just came back to this thread after a week or so. I see it's moved along into the area of practicality, thanks to Edvin. Nice drawings and discussion :-)

Not to take anything away from your enthusiasm for a promising concept Dodtsair & Edvin, but just as a factual note: I have already done some work on this idea. I first came up with it in October 2015, and called it Coupled Opposing Reeds. The aim was to make more compact X-Reed harmonicas, though it has other applications. I got all excited too, and did some drawings and experiments.

I emailed Pat Missin and Rick Epping about the idea, along with some drawings and photos, to see if they had heard of coupled opposing reeds being used before. They thought not, but found it interesting. I also emailed a couple of other knowledgeable friends, Zombor Kovacs and Tom Tonon (inventor of the Blues Box), to get their input. (I have the emails for reference if anyone demands proof).

I experimented using both diatonic and chromatic reedplates. Unlike Edvin, I didn't find the reeds worked well with just the conjoined stacked reedplates, so I added extra porting and valves on outside and inside of the reedplate. This got the reeds playing usefully, but I was struggling to line up the slots accurately to avoid reeds snagging.

The complexity of making it all work, plus the need for lots of valves, kind of put me off the idea at the time, and I got busy with other projects. I came back to it in late 2018 and did some more drawings, but it still seemed a very complicated assembly altogether - especially with all the valves! However, as Triona notes, my recent Gasket-Valve idea would simplify that aspect a lot.

Would love to hear how your prototype is working, Edvin. Do you have an MP3 or video to share?
None of the enthusiasm taken away! I just see your post as yet another sign this idea is good. I suspected someone must had thought of something similar at some point, and it's not a great surprise it's you ;)

I'm away in Visby at the Swedish Medieval Week with limited time and tools for harmonica tinkering, but I'll put something together next week!
Edvin Wedin