Seydel Symphony 48 now available as configurable!

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
EdvinW

Seydel Symphony 48 now available as configurable!

Post by EdvinW » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:05 pm

I just noticed on the Seydel page that the Symphony 48 has joined the ranks of configurable harmonicas, and so seems to have become the fanciest configurable chromatic so far: https://www.seydel1847.de/epages/Seydel ... 80%28sp%29

Further, it also sticks out by using magnets instead of springs for the slider, which by itself should be enough to qualify for a discussion here. The serially produced Symphony comes with polished stainless steel, but for the configurable model we'll have to make do with ordinary unpolished stainless steel reeds. The extra cost for getting it configurable is about the same as for most other Seydel chroms.

So:
Has anybody tried the Symphony?
What do you think of the magnetic slider?
Is it worth its price?
Does polished vs unpolished stainless steel reeds make a difference?
Any other comments?
Edvin Wedin

Lizzy

Re: Seydel Symphony 48 now available as configurable!

Post by Lizzy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:02 pm

I cant answer many of the questions, but regarding polished reeds...my experience is that polished reeds even out many imperfections in the reeds that can evolve to a crack in the future (well, everything breaks sooner or later) but they sure last longer if you ask me. Many imperfections are not visible to the eye. I dont know what Seydel use when they polish the reeds though. And there is now also a 10 hole reedplate option with Seydels new lighting model with polished reeds which can be orderd as a spare. What i can see so far only in richter tuning but i suspect they add these to other tunings in the future. But its a cheaper option if you dont want to spend to much money to just try polished reeds.

EdvinW

Post by EdvinW » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:15 am

Thank you Lizzy!

It seems they do not offer polished steel reeds for the custom tunings, neither for the Symphony nor the Lightning. Maybe this will come later.

I'm about to invest in a nicer harp and currently sway between the Saxony and the Symphony, but two questions make me hesitate:

1. With the tuning I intend to use, in some keys I tend to keep the slide pushed for most of a tune. Compared to a spring, a magnet should exert a smaller force when in the out position, but a stronger force when pressed all the way in, and while this should ease fast slider action I worry that keeping the slide pressed will be hard.

2. The Seydel Symphony 48 is cross tuned! I've never played a cross tuned chromatic, but some people seem to think this slows down slide ornaments. On the other hand, one main selling point of the magnetic slide seems to be it's speed, so I don't know what to believe.

As there's quite a bit of money involved I'm likely to keep pondering this a bit still, but any input would be appreciated!
Edvin Wedin

triona

Post by triona » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:50 am

EdvinW wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:15 am
... to keep the slide pushed for most of a tune. Compared to a spring, a magnet should exert a smaller force when in the out position, but a stronger force when pressed all the way in, and while this should ease fast slider action I worry that keeping the slide pressed will be hard. ...

I think you will not know this until you have tried it by yourself.
If you can wait until end of September, I most propably will get a chance to try this at the Seydel factory. I play very often in multiple flat keys with slider mainly pushed as well. So I could draw my attention on this feature as well.

Btw: An ideal harmonica for keys like Db, Ab or Eb is the Hohner CX-12. On this you can turn around the slide with few movements of the hand and without any tool in no time. Then you have C#/Db (or G#/Ab, D#/Eb) as a default with slider out. And with slider pushed you get C (G, D). That means that the push of the slider is flattening the note by a semitone. Anyway, the CX-12 is cross tuned as well. This apparently does not affect this operation. And one more thing consideing those flat keys: The CX-12 is surely loud enough to keep up with a brass band.

Btw2: The Seydel Grand Symphony comes along with 2 different slides on default. They are interchangeable quite easily as well. Maybe it is possible to mount them turned around as well. And maybe the slider of the Symphony 48 is to dismount and remount easily as well. I can ask fot this too.

dear greetings
triona
Aw, Thou beloved, do hearken to the Banshee's lonely croon!
sinn féin - ça ira !
Cad é sin do'n té sin nach mbaineann sin dó

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yI3H ... 9ktgzTR2qg

EdvinW

Post by EdvinW » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:13 pm

triona wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:50 am
I think you will not know this until you have tried it by yourself.
If you can wait until end of September...
You are certainly right. I ordered one today, so hopefully I'll know more in a few weeks! :)
Edvin Wedin

EdvinW

Post by EdvinW » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:57 pm

I got my Symphony 48 in the mail last week, and I really like it! I've been travelling most of the time since, so a more thorough review will have to wait a bit, but some things I can say right away.

The slider is super smooth with very little friction. The delight of the novelty might make me biased, but I think I prefer the magnets to a spring.

It comes in a large case that easily fits two chroms. It's a bit bulky, but the instrument feels really protected in there. I've experimented with putting chemical hand warmers (the small plastic bags with some kind of liquid that heats and hardens if you crack a small piece of metal that's floating in it) inside the case to ward off the Swedish weather, and it seems to work ok.

It's very airtight. Long passages of blow notes isn't a problem. I haven't tried to halfvalve it yet, but I plan to and hope to get back on this later.

It's a deligt to play, and I'm really bothered I haven't had more time for it. I'll hopefully have more time for it soon, and then I'll also try to address Triona's question about turning the slide upside down; I've been curios about this myself :)
Edvin Wedin

Lizzy

Post by Lizzy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:07 pm

I have heard so many opinions about the magnet slider compaired to a spring slider but as usual, opinions are just opinions without reality. You actually have to try to know what works in the end. Glad it seems to work for you. I only wish all chromatics could have the same respons like a diatonic. I guess that the longer distance between mouthpiece and reed are responsible for this.

EdvinW

Post by EdvinW » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:27 pm

Quick update:
Turning the slider upside down is really easy! I just timed myself, and even though I was fumbling quite a bit I still managed to do it in just under 30 seconds. With some practice I'm sure you could do it between songs at a gig, why on earth anybody would want to do that ;)
Edvin Wedin

triona

Post by triona » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:45 pm

EdvinW wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:27 pm
.. why on earth anybody would want to do that ;)
To play comfortably in keys like Db, Ab ... without constantly keeping the slide pushed. 8-)

dear greetings
triona
Aw, Thou beloved, do hearken to the Banshee's lonely croon!
sinn féin - ça ira !
Cad é sin do'n té sin nach mbaineann sin dó

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yI3H ... 9ktgzTR2qg

EdvinW

Post by EdvinW » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:17 pm

triona wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:45 pm
EdvinW wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:27 pm
.. why on earth anybody would want to do that ;)
To play comfortably in keys like Db, Ab ... without constantly keeping the slide pushed. 8-)

dear greetings
triona
Ah, I was unclear! Wanting to change the slider seems perfectly reasonable, I was just questioning doing it back and forth between songs, at a gig or so :)

Edit: ... but I suppose changing the orientation back and forth between songs at a gig becomes less and less silly the easier it gets. If you have one tune in Db without accidentals I suppose it makes sense :)
Edvin Wedin